Using GE for product/project documentation

Topics: Project Management Forum, User Forum
Apr 24, 2007 at 9:32 PM
We are trying to find the right tool to use for managing our software lifecycle documentation and have been considering using Guidance explorer as an option. We have historically created multiple monolithic Word Documents for each release's requirements, technical, design, admin, user docs, etc. Sometimes this has become a new word doc for each feature, while other times the word doc contains multiple "features" documented.

Aspects I like about GE for this concept include:
  • Separating "parts" of the documentation into smaller parts -- allowing for easier searching and retrieval.
  • Being able to create "Guidance Types" with examples and template information to give prescription to contributors of how to write each particular part. For example I think we could create a guidance types include:
    • a C# class documentation.
    • report spec/documentation
    • web screen spec
  • sql table documentation
*Being able to publish the library of guidance/documentation and automatically subscribe/receive updates to the core documentation (by developers/users/etc.)

Has anyone used/considered using GE in this capacity? Have you encountered any hurdles that we might want to consider? Alternatively - what other tools/techniques have you used for creating/managing software lifecycle documents/documentation?
Coordinator
Sep 6, 2007 at 10:51 PM
Edited Sep 6, 2007 at 10:56 PM
Yes, its a good idea I think. We've actually seen it used inside Microsoft for just such a purpose. Also some of us use Guidance Explorer as a personal knowledge repository.